Unstructured airfoil mesh

Discussion about meshing issues.

Unstructured airfoil mesh

Postby mdestad » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:11 am

Hello,

I am trying to create an unstructured hexahedral mesh for flow past a wing in 3D. In this case the wing geometry is 2D and the third direction is a simple extrusion. I'm struggling to understand how to control the mesh density. I am using a spectral element solver so my code is rather sensitive to the grid but it is difficult to predict apriori.

For now I can make a structured grid but that is a bit problematic due to high aspect ratio cells nears the boundary. With an unstructured grid I am able to to make a grid as well but I'm struggling with how to control the high resolution and low resolution areas. I used the boundary layer option to generate a structured grid near the airfoil and that is not very satisfactory.

I'm struggling with how to ensure a relatively smooth transition between a structured near airfoil grid and a relative refined separated flow and wake region. I have a good intuitive sense of what the grid should look like but I'm not sure how / what I would do to get that.

I added a few pictures. I want something like unstr_wing.jpg and airfoil_mesh_far.jpg but so far I have a messy field which doesn't seem to give me much control of where resolution is concentrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mdestad

Return to Meshing